Open University

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ponting_Mute_*

Guest_Ponting_Mute_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hi

Sorry if this has already been asked about - I couldn't see a topic for it.....

Anyway, has anyone ever done studying through the Open University? I've just registered and paid for what will hopefully be my first class towards a History degree.

If anyone has studied with the OU, how did you find it? Did you enjoy it?

Thanks

Kirsten

#2 Milly

Milly

Technician

• Member (Verified)
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

I think my housemates boyfriend is doing a Masters through it. It seems quite relaxed, he has had about 5 years to do it and can pick and choose when he does his modules. He's on to the last bit now.

He occasionally has to go and take exams, but basically he can choose which exam time he takes them.

Not sure if it's the same with an undergraduate degree - but good luck with it all.

#3 PrincessKatie

PrincessKatie

Porter

• Need to pay my subscription!
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

I am currently studying for a Literature degree with Open Uni and working full time. Loving it! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Despite the fact I have a TMA due in 4 days and haven't started yet!

#4 Anja

Anja

Technician

• 5,695 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

I personally have never studied with the OU, but my Mum did a second degree through the OU. It took her a long time, but she really enjoyed her course and she was able to work it around her work quite well too. I think that an OU degree can give you more flexibility, but by learning by distance, I would find it really hard to get motivated unless I was really interested in the subject.

#5 Sophie.

Sophie.

E.D Assistant

• 1,997 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:44 PM

My dad studied Sociology at the OU a few years ago now - it took him 6 years to complete it, but he was working as well at the time - it definately gives people a lot more felexibilty - my mum was studying Sociology at Warwick Uni full-time so my dad needed to work - that's why he chose the OU and he loved it.

Good luck with your degree smile.gif

#6 Cait

Cait

Student Nurse

• 6,665 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

Just reviving this thread. Is anyone else studying through the OU? Or doing any other kind of distance learning course for that matter?

I'm starting my first level of a History course (the History of Science, Technology and Medicine). I'm feeling quite nervous and excited for it, especially as I'm used to being at Uni where you have a timetable telling you when and where you're supposed to be studying. I've not got that for this. It's all on my shoulders!

#7 Soph M

Soph M

"I love you... with all my feet."

• 17,991 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

I'm debating to go through Open College to do a Childcare course so when I do go for job interviews they can't say I'm over qualified or that my Degree isn't specific enough to the job.

#8 Josephine

Josephine

Trainee Technician

• 3,948 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:38 PM

I am seriously considering their English Language and Literature degree......PrincessKatie, you're working full time and studying with them, do you find you have enough time????

When are you starting your course PureRose? smile.gif

#9 Cait

Cait

Student Nurse

• 6,665 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

My course technically started last Saturday. All of my tutorials are online which is great because it means that I can get involved with them while I'm sitting on the computer at the shop and I don't need to worry about days off or anything. That said, there's also a tutorial group meeting in Glasgow which my Dad and I are going along to (my Dad is doing the same course as me) tomorrow. I'm a little bit nervous, but also quite excited because I think I'll feel more like it's real if I go and meet a tutor and talk to people who aren't my father biggrin.gif

This week has just been our introduction week, you make sure that you can communicate okay with your tutor, find your way around the forums and that you've got the books all organised. Our first unit is on 'Reputations' of people in different fields (History, Science, Art, Literature, etc.) so we were asked to think of people who we might have liked to include in the course for study. I chose Elizabeth the First and linked her to Cleopatra (who is the first person we study) and was very pleased when people agreed with me biggrin.gif

I think if you were to do the English degree the first level course might be the one I'm doing now (AA100), I'm not too sure about how I'll find some aspects - analysing a section of Doctor Faustus - Ack! - but I'm definitely enjoying it at the moment.

#10 Josephine

Josephine

Trainee Technician

• 3,948 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 01:18 PM

AA100 - is it the 'Arts Past and Present' course? If so then yup, that's what I'll be starting in October (forever away sad.gif ) - once the OU have put up a fee and I've decided if I can afford it rolleyes.gif

I've read the online prospectus and it sounds fab - I originally was just going to do the Diploma in Creative Writing and Literature, but figured if I was going to do that I might aswell try and do the whole degree.......we'll see how far I get, I'll do the diploma and go from there..... tongue.gif

At least doing it with your Dad you have someone to bounce off - might help you with the discipline as well.....you'll have to keep me informed how it goes so I know what to expect!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users