• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#11 Cait

Cait

Student Nurse

• Need to pay my subscription!
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Aww, yay. AA100 is my course biggrin.gif Depending on how well it goes I'll be here to bounce ideas off of/or comiserate with at the tough bits wink.gif, although you may want to ignore me come TMA time because I'm sure I'll be less enthusiastic once I have to start writing essays biggrin.gif

You should look into grants and things that you might be able to apply for, I'm not sure how it works in England though (in Scotland if you earn less than 16,000 a year your fees are paid for you, so all you need to buy are your required reading books).

I'm worried that I'm going to become addicted to OU courses. I've already got the next three or so lined up. My Dad keeps reminding me that I should just get through this one, hehe. Having him doing the course is useful because I've got someone right here I can bounce my ideas off of, but it also means I'm in competition with him because we have the same tutor. Also, he keeps going off and doing his own research then bringing up topics in conversation that I've not covered in the books, which sends me into a panic because I think I've missed something. Hehe.

#12 Josephine

Josephine

Trainee Technician

• 3,948 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (PureRose @ Feb 13 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aww, yay. AA100 is my course biggrin.gif Depending on how well it goes I'll be here to bounce ideas off of/or comiserate with at the tough bits wink.gif, although you may want to ignore me come TMA time because I'm sure I'll be less enthusiastic once I have to start writing essays biggrin.gif

You should look into grants and things that you might be able to apply for, I'm not sure how it works in England though (in Scotland if you earn less than 16,000 a year your fees are paid for you, so all you need to buy are your required reading books).

I'm worried that I'm going to become addicted to OU courses. I've already got the next three or so lined up. My Dad keeps reminding me that I should just get through this one, hehe. Having him doing the course is useful because I've got someone right here I can bounce my ideas off of, but it also means I'm in competition with him because we have the same tutor. Also, he keeps going off and doing his own research then bringing up topics in conversation that I've not covered in the books, which sends me into a panic because I think I've missed something. Hehe.

I think it's the same here, but they base it on household income I think, which means I'm not going to be eligible for much, if anything. Perhaps I should kick my boyfriend out for a while biggrin.gif

I can't wait to apply for this now, although I am tempted to mix up the order and do my creative writing course before AA100. I won't, because that would be silly, but I'm impatient and I want too.....

You'll definitly have to let me know how you get on smile.gif

#13 Cait

Cait

Student Nurse

• 6,665 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

Hehe, yeah, kick him out wink.gif You might even get more peace and quiet to study wink.gif

Went to my first tutorial on Saturday. Technically all my tutorials are online because my group is spread out over the entire north, east, and west of Scotland, but we've managed to muscle into one of the tutor groups in Glasgow. The tutor is really cool. I found when I was at uni not all of the tutors were particularly approachable, some of them were really friendly and fun but not all of them. But she's funny and easy to talk to. There's only nine of us in the group (although I expect that some people will miss some weeks and others'll come along to other weeks), which means that it's really easy to speak up during the discussions.

The tutorials online are a lot quieter at the moment, only about three people have posted anything. Hopefully they'll pick up a bit more. I'd definitely recommend going along to tutorials if you can smile.gif Next Saturday our tutor is going to go over an example of our first assignment to show us what it is we really need to do - definitely going to make lots of notes next week biggrin.gif

I think it's very easy to get sucked into doing courses through the OU, hehe, you've already got two courses lined up, spend any more time on the website and you'll find you've got about half a dozen. wink.gif

#14 Josephine

Josephine

Trainee Technician

• 3,948 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

So, a month down the line Cait!! How are you getting along?

#15 Cait

Cait

Student Nurse

• 6,665 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

Not doing too badly. My first TMA (that's Tutor Marked Assignment) is due in tomorrow, but being a swot and knowing that the server is going to be under some demand from the other 3,000 people also trying to submit assignments, I decided to submit mine earlier.

It was quite tricky mainly because of the tight word restrictions; 500 words on Faustus, 500 on Cezanne. My last essay was 10,000 words! Hehe.

I'm really enjoying the tutorials, although the online ones are really quiet. I was expecting discussions of the sort that we have on sites like this, but people have a tendancy to post a great long reply to the tutors question which I read and think 'well they've pretty much covered everything I was going to say'. So I'm not as vocal online as I could be. We're also going to tutorials in Glasgow and one of the women there has set up a sort of 'round robin' e-mail system for us so we can keep in touch that way. Our Glasgow tutor group has become a refuge for orphans of other groups who can't make it to their own tutorials biggrin.gif

The one issue I am finding with it is because it's just an introduction to the subject, you only spend one week looking at each topic. So really you're just brushing the surface of each aspect. While I couldn't care less about only spending a week looking at Cezanne I'd happily spend three studying Cleopatra, Christopher Marlowe and Faraday. biggrin.gif

#16 PrincessKatie

PrincessKatie

Porter

• 882 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Jozy @ Feb 13 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am seriously considering their English Language and Literature degree......PrincessKatie, you're working full time and studying with them, do you find you have enough time????

When are you starting your course PureRose? smile.gif

Sorry only just saw this!

Yes...plenty of time. To be honest I don't do that much studying and still average 2:1 marks in assessments. smile.gif

#17 Cait

Cait

Student Nurse

• 6,665 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Just have to squee. biggrin.gif Got my first assignment back today and I got 88%!

Somehow I managed to do better on the Cezanne section than the Faustus section (even though I thought I covered the question in the Faustus section better). All of my comments on Faustus were about how I could have gone into greater detail (which would have been difficult given the fact that I only had 500 words to work with), but my tutor loved what I said about Cezanne!

So Yay!

#18 Soph M

Soph M

"I love you... with all my feet."

• 17,991 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Jozy @ Feb 13 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AA100 - is it the 'Arts Past and Present' course? If so then yup, that's what I'll be starting in October (forever away sad.gif ) - once the OU have put up a fee and I've decided if I can afford it rolleyes.gif

I've read the online prospectus and it sounds fab - I originally was just going to do the Diploma in Creative Writing and Literature, but figured if I was going to do that I might aswell try and do the whole degree.......we'll see how far I get, I'll do the diploma and go from there..... tongue.gif

At least doing it with your Dad you have someone to bounce off - might help you with the discipline as well.....you'll have to keep me informed how it goes so I know what to expect!!!!

I've been looking at that course as I quite liked History at school (although my grade doesn't reflect it). I've been going through a few of the courses that sound good although I'm not sure if I'm good enough for it (my last degree wasn't that good). My parents are asking if I want to go back to Uni to do another course, but it would be in the same field as my previous course (Early Years) plus I'm in the job I want and it's a job that in a few years time I'd like to own a company doing. I don't know whether it makes sense to do another EY course through the OU or do something different.

I'm so confused by the website at the moment though - too many choices!

Edited by Soph M, 18 April 2009 - 03:54 PM.

#19 PrincessKatie

PrincessKatie

Porter

• 882 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

I've been bad recently. Had my last TMA substitued. Got another due in 3 weeks so I really must read some plays and the text books. I just can't be bothered. Then an exam in May. sad.gif Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

#20 EmmaM

EmmaM

Observer

• 231 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

Its not the same but I did a distance A-level with my local college whilst working full time. I had the motivation no problem but I think the issue was I didnt have anyone to bounce ideas off, and I am a someone who learns through sound if that makes sense rather than just words or images.

There was three people doing it with me but they were all older and we were offered the chance to have a tutorial all together but the other two refused rolleyes.gif

However if I decide to do a masters i'll certainly look into the OU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users