S4 E9 (3 Nov 89) : Union by Jacqueline Holborough
Megan has talked to reporters about the staff and bed shortages, leading to front page headlines. The staff back her up, but Valerie tells her she faces a disciplinary hearing.
Charlie is away all week at a seminar, leaving Duffy in charge, and a new agency nurse, Glen Buchanan – who Julie is attracted to.
A 12 year old Sudanese girl, Raqi, is brought in seriously ill after her grandmother circumcises her. Her father is furious. Raqi dies, and Lucy tells the family the practice is illegal. Alex becomes upset – Jimmy comforts her and Duffy tells her all good nurses will get upset sometimes.
The Surgical Consultant observes Lucy demonstrating relaxing techniques on an anxious man, Clive Jolly, with heart palpitations, he casts him off as neurotic and tells her if she wants to succeed not to follow those ideas.
A teenage prostitute, Dawn, is brought in after being pushed out of a car. She makes a nuisance of herself. After stitching her, Cyril is advised to call Social Services for her, but it’s too late as she gets into a car with another customer.
Liz, an ex-photographer, is brought in by her husband, Graham (who is HIV). She is terminally ill with full blown AIDS and has just lost her sight. Agency Nurse, Glen, refuses to treat her. Duffy snaps at him, before he tells her his partner is also HIV.
* Liz – dying of AIDS, numerous problems – blindness, incontinence, pneumonia, etc.
* Dawn – teenage prostitute, cuts to face and twisted ankle after being pushed from a car.
* Raqi Darboush – dies after being circumcised by her grandmother.
* Clive Jolly – has heart palpitations – Lucy helps him relax.
Jimmy : How’s it going with the newspaper story?
Megan : Well I have to see the General Manager, so obviously there’s going to be some kind of disciplinary hearing.
(Liz’s husband picks up jewel, looks at it and puts back in pocket, all busy around him)
* This is the first episode which Charlie Fairhead doesn’t appear.
* Geoff Coxan from Radio Holby talks to Valerie
* Ken Gardiner from S4E7 is revealed to have died.
* Holby Evening Post reads ‘Holby nurse speaks out’ – Holby doomed casualty department near collapse- holby nurse speaks out.
* Julie has been promoted to supervisor.
* Lucy has a writ against her after a solicitor has accused her of leaving a plug lip up his nose during an operation, leaving him with a twitch.