‘The Long and Winding Road’ : Anton arrives with his sick father, David, who asks Chrissie and Sam not to tell his son how serious his cancer is. Hearing Anton making plans with him, though, Chrissie feels compelled to tell the truth. Anton is furious and hits Sam, who Chrissie defends, saying he was acting professionally. When Anton’s dad dies suddenly he takes his grief and anger out on Chrissie and publicly dumps her.
Meanwhile, Dan tries to persuade a drunk Alex to give Louise some space while desperately trying to dissuade her from telling him about the abortion. When the pair bump into each other Dan is forced to leave them alone and is later surprised to find they have reconciled.
Thandie has to attend the racism tribunal against Elliot, who is preoccupied with his missing son James. When Elliot leaves the tribunal early Ric confronts him only to find he was taking a call from the police about his son.
Back on the wards Ric feels unnerved by his colleagues’ attitude towards Thandie. But when she fails to see when patient, Monty, is suffering a perforated ulcer until he collapses it fuels staff’s claims further. Ric has a showdown with Abra, who labels Thandie incompetent and problematic. And later he watches sadly as his colleagues take Elliot out for a drink without them.
Dan promises food critic Kelly a gastric band will be fitted that day as long as she remains nil by mouth. With operations clogging up, Dan breaks the news later in the day that he won’t have time. She is annoyed, having had no food all day but he is abrasive and rude back to her, at which point she secretly has some leftover ward-round food. Dan, feeling guilty, decides to do both hers and Mr Willox’ hernia operation simultaneously with Maddy. However she suffers problems after the operation when they discover she has eaten.
* David Matthews – dies of cancer.
* Kelly Ackroyd – gastric band fitted.
* Monty Sorenson – perforated stomach ulcer.
* Mr Willox – hernia.
* Terence Maynard plays Anton Matthews.
* Ram John Holder plays David Matthews.
* Sam Stockman plays James Hope.
* Fiona Gillies plays Louise Clifford.
* Thomas Lockyer plays Alex Clfford.
* On hearing of Elliot’s racism accusation, Donna tells Ric ‘I certainly didn’t have him down as BNP!’
* Abra tells Ric ‘How many times does she have to screw up before you see?’
* Magic Numbers ‘I See You, You See Me’ plays at the end of the episode.
UK Viewing Figures