S5 E6 (12 Oct 90) : Salvation by Robin Mukherjee
A mother, Judy, steals her ill daughter, Katie, away from her father, Duncan, who is involved in a religious cult. As she gets worse, Judy, takes her to casualty, where Duncan and his leader, Hastings, are already there, looking for her. They oppose dialysis for Katie, which is needed in order for her to live, and face Julian’s anger. In the end, Duncan relents.
Two cars, one with Nigel and Antoine and the other with Stuart and Celia, race along the dark roads. Celia urges Stuart to stop, but their car overturns and her legs are crushed. In CRASH, Celia tells him to leave.
Charlie lets a drunk sleep on a matress in a cubicle, much to Julian and Ash’s disapproval. As another ‘drunk’ comes in, Charlie sends him to join the other, but Jimmy calls the alarm when they find out he is a diabetic, who’s had a hypo.
Alf reports his hospital partner colleague, Harry, ill – as Beth treats him, he arrests and dies in CRASH. Duffy regrets the fact they didn’t know him very well.
After nearly getting run over on the way to work – Duffy bumps into the driver again, as he turns out to be a patient, Clive, who has injured his arm. He flirts with Duffy and also tells her of his dizzy spells and headaches. She gets Beth to check him over, where they discover he has a serious head tumour. Duffy visits him on a ward, where he still manages to be chirpy.A punk, Robbie, comes in after being hit and kicked – it turns out to be his girlfriend, Sharon, who also comes in with a cut face, after they have had a fight. Julian stitches her face, making Ash feel undermined. After both being treated, Robbie and Sharon make up.Mrs Wallace comes in believing her ‘baby’ is ill – and has no head. She is a regular, who Tony Walker comes to visit – as her ‘baby’ is infact a dead fish. She had a miscarriage earlier in her life, which caused her behaviour.
* Robbie – punk who has been hit and kicked.
* Sharon Dobbs – after fight with Robbie, she has a cut face.
* Clive – comes in with bad arm after falling into a swimming pool, when he had a dizzy spell – on further inspection, they find he has a brain tumour.
* Celia – crushed leg after the car she is in overturns.
* Katie Simmonds – kidney problems, needs to go on dialysis.
* One drunk.
* A diabetic who Charlie misdiagnoses as a drunk.
* Porter, Harry who collapses and dies.
* Mrs Wallace – psychiatric patient who has an ill ‘baby’ which is really a fish.
Judy is carrying Katie from house;
Katie : No! Get away from.. leave me alone!
Judy : Shut up, get in the cab! (to taxi driver) Holby Station please, said the station please!
Charlie : I thought he was drunk.
Beth : Probably had a drink, he is a diabetic.
Ash : 50%
Charlie : Hypo, that’s down to me then isn’t it.
* Lisa Coleman (Jude Korcanik) plays Sharon Dobbs.
* Louise Jameson (Rosa in Eastenders) plays Judy.
* Dermot Crawley plays Hastings.
* Robert Gleniston plays Duncan.
* Julian complained that his ‘ex-wife’ was ‘bugging him’.