Played by George Rainsford
S28 E20 ‘Bad Timing’ –
Specialist Registrar. Emergency Medicine
Date of Birth
28th November 1986 (as shown in 30.27)
Brother, Caleb Knight. Birth mother, Emilie Groome. Mother, Matilda.
Ethan is serious and hard-working although somewhat awkward socially. He has a methodical, cautious approach, but does end up making slightly inappropriate jokes and using self-deprecating humour.
Ethan doesn’t exactly put his best foot forward during his first shift in S28 E20; his mother is seriously ill and he’s trying to negotiate her ongoing care with the help of his brother, Caleb, who’s not being very forthcoming. Lily is unhappy that he had disappeared mid-way through shift and voices her concerns to Zoe, who informs her that his mother has died.
It is later discovered that they were both adopted and on meeting their birth mother, who later dies from Huntington’s disease – both fear they have inherited it – but only Ethan has.
Caleb and Ethan have at times a tough relationship. Ethan was furious when Cal stole his inheritance money in Series 29 to give to Taylor. During Series 31, Cal struck up a romance with Alicia, despite Ethan’s feelings for her. Cal later discovers Ethan has slept with her which only makes their relationship more fraught. However Cal will always have Ethan’s back deep down. When an angry relative Scott Ellison sets out to cause revenge over his father’s death, Cal confronts him outside the hospital. However Scott fatally stabs him. Ethan is affected by his brother’s death and sets out to get justice for Cal when Scott is cleared of murder. However when Scott falls off the hospital balcony and is in resus – Ethan witnesses him choking and fails to administer aid leading to his death.
- S29 E5 – Ethan is involved in a minibus crash along with some of the rest of the team, which ends up in Jeff dying.
- S29 E6 – After being discharged, Cal helps Ethan move into a new flat whilst also becoming his flat mate
- S29 E7 – Ethan is getting fed up of his freeloading brother.
- S29 E12 – Ethan discovers Honey has been working as a pole dancer in a strip club.
- S29 E18 – Ethan helps Honey who has been injured at the strip club she has been working in.
- S29 E21 – Ethan tries to pluck up the courage to give Honey a Valentines Day card.
- S29 E27 – Ethan discovers Cal has stolen his inheritance money.
- S29 E28 – A furious Ethan kicks Cal out of his flat.
- S29 E29 – Ethan calls the police on Taylor when she returns asking Cal for help.
- S29 E39 – Ethan’s day turns Sin City.
- S29 E41 – Lily asks Ethan out for dinner but they clash over a patient before they go.
- S29 E42 – Ethan is in a flap following Honey’s return but decides to concentrate on his exams.
- S29 E43 – Ethan ends up being stuck by a needle containing drug addict Louis’ blood. The incident leads him to go after his own heart with Honey.
- S29 E44 – Ethan asks Noel’s permission to ask out his daughter.
- S30 E3 – Honey has serious doubts about her relationship with Ethan.
- S30 E4 – Ethan and Honey call off their romance.
- S30 E8 – Ethan tells Cal he needs to get a paternity test for baby Matilda.
- S30 E11 – Ethan saves baby Matilda who is brought in feeling unwell.
- S30 E17 – Ethan remains under the illusion that Cal’s bad behaviour is down to missing baby Matilda. Little does he know Cal is hiding a secret about their real mother.
- S30 E19 – Ethan reaches breaking point when he can’t find a bed for a dying patient.
- S30 E20 – Cal secretly tests Ethan’s blood for Huntingdons. Meanwhile Ethan is disillusioned with the NHS and writes up a resignation letter.
- S30 E21 – Lily persuades Ethan to not quit.
- S30 E22 – When his birth mother arrives in the ED, Ethan finds out the truth and of his potential condition.
- S30 E23 – Ethan and Cal have a furious bust up in the hospital following Cal’s deceit.
- S30 E26 – Cal and Ethan take their mother to the seaside where she peacefully dies. However Ethan reveals to Cal he has Huntingdons disease whilst Cal is in the clear.
- S30 E27 – Ethan lashes out at his friends and family as he comes to terms with his diagnosis.
- S30 E29 – Ethan resolves to ‘Be More Cal’.
- S30 E31 – Ethan swaps alcohol for lemonade after another heavy night out.
- S30 E37 – Egged on by his brother, Ethan ends up kissing a patient in the store cupboard.
- S31 E1 – Alicia and Ethan become trapped when a helicopter crashes into the department.
- S31 E4 – Ethan and Alicia are thrown together on a shout to rescue a jogger.
- S31 E6 – Alicia celebrates her birthday but Ethan has doubts about going to her party.
- S31 E9 – Ethan tries to pluck up the courage to ask Alicia out, but Cal is also interested.
- S31 E13 – Alicia writes Ethan a touching biography for his online dating profile.
- S31 E14 – Ethan struggles to bury his feelings for Alicia despite taking another girl to the Christmas party.
- S31 E16 – Ethan’s loyalties are tested when he sees Cal’s uncommitment towards Alicia.
- S31 E17 – Ethan and Alicia wake up together. He wants them to be together but Alicia needs to find a way to tell Cal.
- S31 E32 – During the strike, Cal confronts Alicia and Ethan about their affair.
- S31 E33 – Ethan is distraught when his brother Cal dies following a stabbing.
- S31 E34 – Ethan struggles in the aftermath of Cal’s death.
- S31 E37 – Ethan comes face to face with Scott (who has not been charged) when he comes into the hospital, where Mickey is being treated.
- S31 E38 – Ethan unravels before attending Cal’s funeral.
- S31 E39 – Ethan has been staying up all night watching Scott’s house.
- S31 E41 – Ethan turns to blackmail in an attempt to nail Cal’s killer.
- S31 E42 – Ethan tells Scott about Mickey’s relationship with Jez. The brothers fight and Scott falls off the balcony.
- S31 E43 – When Ethan comes across Scott’s choking in resus – he walks away, leading to Scott’s death
- Lily Chao
- Honey Wright
- Alicia Munroe
Pinterest – Ethan Hardy – George Rainsford